10 minutes to Stadthuys
The Stadthuys (an old Dutch spelling, meaning city hall) is a historical structure situated in the heart of Malacca City, the administrative capital of the state of Malacca, Malaysia in a place known as the Red Square. It was built by the Dutch occupants in 1650 as the office of the Dutch Governor and Deputy Governor.
When Malacca was handed over to the British in the 19th century, the Malacca Free School was opened in the vicinity of the Stadthuys on 7 December 1826, by missionaries residing in the state, in response to a letter dated 19 April 1825, signed by a J. Humprey, J. W. Overee and A. W. Baumgarten, which called for an English institutional education to be built in Malacca. The school which the British provided free education to residents was eventually renamed Malacca High School in 1871 upon a takeover by the British government, and moved out to its present site at Chan Koon Cheng Road in 1931. Situated at Laksamana Road, beside the Christ Church, the supposed oldest remaining Dutch historical building in the Orient, is now home to the History and Ethnography Museum. Among the displays in the museum are traditional costumes and artifacts throughout the history of Malacca, which makes it Malacca(:-)s premier museum.
10 minutes to Jonker Street
The center street of Chinatown – was once renowned for its antique shops. However over the years it has turned to clothing and crafts outlets as well as restaurants. The best part of Jonker Street is the night market on Fridays and Saturdays that sells everything from tasty treats to cheap keepsakes.
During the Dutch Malacca, servants and subordinates of Dutch masters used to live at the nearby Heeren Street. However, as the Dutch left, it became noblemen(:-)s street. Rich Peranakans started to live and did business within the street area, giving the street a deep-rooted ethnic and cultural flavor.
5 minutes to Kampung Morten
The Morten Village (Malay: Kampung Morten) is a historical traditional Malay village in Malacca. The village is named after a British land revenue collector during the British Malaya.The area used to be a quiet place during the 1960s and 1970s. The area was then evolved to become a tourist attraction since it was declared a heritage village under Malacca(:-)s Preservation and Conservation Enactment in 1989. The village houses more than 100 traditional Malay houses.
Address: 189, 9-G, Jalan Persisiran Bunga Raya, 75300, Melaka, Malaysia
Phone:+60 6-288 1717